Former astronaut Tom Jones flew on four Space Shuttle missions. He's currently an advisor to Planetary Resources.
The event is open to the public and begins at 7:00 PM. It will be held at the museum's History Center, just outside the front gate of Cape Canaveral Air Force Station on SR-401. (Directions below.)
Dr. Jones will be talking about asteroid mining. He is an advisor to Planetary Resources, a Seattle-based company that last April announced its plans to mine near-Earth asteroids for raw materials.
He is also the author of several books, including Sky Walking: An Astronaut's Memoir. Dr. Jones will signing copies after his presentation. Copies will be available through the History Center's gift shop.
To drive to the History Center:
- From the 528 Beachline, exit at Port Canaveral's Terminal A to head north on SR-401.
- In about two miles, you'll enter the CCAFS outer gate. The badging station is on your right.
- You'll come to the traffic signal just outside the security gate, at Poseidon Road. A red and white Navaho missile is to your right.
- Turn right onto Poseidon and quickly left into the Space Florida complex.
- In the parking lot, you'll see Space Florida directly ahead of you and the SpaceX Launch Control Center to your right. The History Center is behind SpaceX.
For more information, call the History Center front desk at (321) 730-0055.