Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Nothing Better To Do

Today is my second day furloughed from my day job thanks to the government shutdown.

I submitted this letter to the Florida Today opinion page. Don't know if it will be published, but here it is.

I was employed at the Kennedy Space Center until my representative in Congress, Bill Posey, decided along with his Republican colleagues to shut down the government.

I no longer have a means of paying my bills.

At least I know that I will have access to affordable health care, but ironically Mr. Posey wants to take that away from me as well.

I look forward to voting against Mr. Posey in 2014.


UPDATE October 2, 2013 8:30 AM EDTFlorida Today has published an editorial ripping Rep. Posey for his participation in the government shutdown.

Workers at Kennedy Space Center endured the shutdown of the Constellation program. They survived thousands of layoffs from the end of the space shuttle program.

Now, they and their families will suffer from a vote by the very congressman they have trusted for support.

U.S. Rep. Bill Posey, R-Rockledge, voted for House budget resolutions that called for defunding or delaying parts of Obamacare in return for keeping the federal government running.

He knew President Barack Obama would never oblige that, although the Senate took time to vote “no.”

Consequently, about 2,000 civil servants were sent home Tuesday without pay from KSC as part of a partial government shutdown. Work stopped on a November launch to Mars of the probe Maven, potentially causing a two-year delay. Canaveral National Seashore closed. Call centers and operators for the Veterans Administration hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment