Click the arrow to watch the film. Video source: NASA Langley CRGIS YouTube channel.
This week's Retro Saturday is not an old film, but a film about an old subject.
According to the Kennedy Space Center history web site, the Mercury Mission Control Center building was constructed between 1956 and 1958. It was originally known as Receiver Building 3. Designed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, it included a large roof for telemetry equipment and a data processing area. Two small additions were made to Receiver Building 3 in 1959 and the facility became known as the Mercury Control Center.
For more information about the history of the structure, click here to download a PDF of a 2010 historical engineering record.
The film was “stretched” from standard dimensions to widescreen by someone, so that's why it looks a bit distorted.