Saturday, August 1, 2015

Retro Saturday: NASA Space Electronics Division


Click the arrow to watch the film. Video source: wdtvlive42 YouTube channel.

Bad mustaches apparently were still a fashion statement in the early 1990s, or maybe it's just that engineers are always behind the fashion times.

Anyway, this week's Retro Saturday takes us back to the NASA Lewis Research Center in 1991 to visit the Space Electronics Division. Research for Today and Tomorrow focuses primarily the technology for communications satellites to come in upcoming decades.

The center's origins trace back to NASA's predecessor, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics. It was founded in 1942 as the Aircraft Engine Research Laboratory, then renamed in 1948 as the Lewis Flight Propulsion Laboratory after the NACA's Director of Aeronautical Research, George W. Lewis, who passed away that year.

When NASA was created in 1958, Lewis was absorbed into the new agency and renamed the Lewis Flight Research Center. It kept that name until March 1999, when it was named after astronaut John Glenn.

No comments:

Post a Comment