Click the arrow to watch the film. Video source: The Digital Implosion YouTube channel.
This week's Retro Saturday features the second of three films about the history of Edwards Air Force.
The Air Force Flight Test Center is a 30-minute film from 1957, during Edwards' golden age. This is the height of the Right Stuff era, with the base upgraded for a new modern era of jet craft. A new concrete runway opened in October 1954, as an alternative to the historic dry lake bed.
Originally named Muroc, the name was changed in December 1949 to honor test pilot Glen Edwards who had died a year earlier in the YB-49 Flying Wing.
A number of experimental aircraft are seen in this film.